Volleyball

Syracuse drops straight sets to No. 8 Pittsburgh

Jacob Halsema | Staff Photographer

The Orange finished with more errors than kills, dropping to 0-4 in ACC play for the first time since 2014.

After keeping it close for two sets, Syracuse only scored six points in the final set of its loss to No. 8 Pittsburgh. For the first time since 2014, the Orange have lost their first four ACC matches.

Following its first two Final Four appearances in program history in 2021-22, Pitt head coach Dan Fisher brought in the highest-ranked recruiting class in program history. The dominance of the freshman class began early, with Torrey Stafford registering four kills and two blocks in the opening set. With the Orange down 15-11, Stafford killed three consecutive points, forcing a timeout from SU.

Stafford leads the Panthers with 155 kills this year. But she wasn’t the only freshman who made waves on Sunday afternoon. In the first set after Syracuse had cut the deficit to single digits, Blair Bayless knocked two kills in three points to win the set 25-15.

All year, the Orange have fixated on setting to Cherlin Antonio. But against Pitt, Antonio couldn’t find a hitting rhythm as the Panthers continually set up their vaunted block directly in her path. After five attack errors in the first set, Antonio continued to struggle with eight errors in the second. Many errors came by way of the Pittsburgh net-front presence, with Pitt registering seven blocks in the second set alone.

With Syracuse down by just three points in the second set, the Panthers subbed in Cat Flood, a 6-foot-2 senior. She stepped up, blocking two consecutive attacks from SU. After back-to-back kills by Bayless and Chiamaka Nwokolo, the second set ended on an attack error by Antonio.

Antonio, who entered the match with seven straight games of double-digit kills, failed to reach that milestone on the afternoon, while also setting a new season-high of 14 errors. She had 41 attacks, while nobody else on the team tallied more than 13. Greta Schlichter, Veronica Sierzant and Lauren McCabe each had just three kills and Zharia Harris-Waddy had two. Only seven players saw the floor for Syracuse.

Pittsburgh put the Orange away in the final set. Freshman setter Haiti Tautua’a saw an increased role for Pitt as the match went on, registering 10 assists and eight digs. She consistently set up her fellow freshmen Stafford, Bayless and Olivia Babcock.

The Panthers’ freshmen trio registered 23 kills on 41 attempts with three errors. Syracuse’s first-year hitters went 8-for-33 with seven errors.

In the third set, the Panthers went ahead 5-0 before eventually mounting a 16-3 lead. Pitt had 16 kills to just one error in the third set, holding the Orange to just two kills and six errors. Pittsburgh finished the match with a whopping .458 hitting percentage and the Orange put up more errors than kills, ending the match with a -.041 hitting percentage.