2 Chipotle restaurants in Syracuse involved in credit card hack

The Chipotle restaurants on Marshall Street and Erie Boulevard East were affected by the attack between March 26 and April 18.

The Chipotle Mexican Grill restaurants on Marshall Street and Erie Boulevard East in Syracuse were involved in the cybersecurity attack that allowed hackers to steal credit card information from customers, the fast-food company confirmed.

An investigation into the incident found that malware on Chipotle cash registers searched for customers’ “track data.” Track data can include a cardholder’s name, card number, expiration date and internal verification code, the company said in a statement on its website.

“There is no indication that other customer information was affected,” the company said.

According to the company website, the Chipotle restaurants at 129 Marshall St. and 3496 Erie Blvd. East were affected by the attack between March 26 and April 18.

Managers from both Chipotle locations declined requests for comment on this story.

“Not all restaurants were involved (in the attack), and the specific time frames vary by location,” the company said. However, the attack involved hundreds of Chipotle restaurants across the country.

The company said in the statement that it would continue to work with cybersecurity firms to improve security measures. It also said it would support the law enforcement investigation into the incident and would cooperate with credit card networks.

Chipotle urged its customers to review their credit card statements and contact the Federal Trade Commission, the state’s attorney general’s office or local law enforcement agencies if they believe they are victims of identity theft.