Syracuse football: Beat writers predict outcome of game vs. Connecticut

Tony Curtis | Staff Photographer

Our beat writers think Syracuse will make it back to .500 with a win over the Huskies.

Syracuse (1-2, 0-1 Atlantic Coast) goes on the road to face Connecticut (2-1, 0-1 American Athletic) on Saturday at 1 p.m. Here’s how our beat writers think the game will unfold.

Tomer Langer (0-0)
Syracuse 28, Connecticut 27
Survive and Advance

The Orange has had two beatdowns in the past two weeks, leaving head coach Dino Babers to say he was feeling down after the rough stretch. The Orange’s offense was disappointing last week, scoring 17 points in the first quarter and then just three the rest of the way. I think SU’s offense will still be a bit inconsistent in its first road test, but it’ll do just enough to escape Connecticut with a win.

Chris Libonati (3-0)
Syracuse 31, Connecticut 17
Dog Fight

This is a bit of a toss-up for me, but I think Syracuse’s offense is better than Connecticut’s defense. Essentially, I think this becomes Dino Babers’ coaching strengths against Bob Diaco’s. So far, no one’s been able to 100 percent shut down Syracuse (USF came closest in the final three quarters). Although SU should be expected to win this game, it’s also not a gimme, and if it does win, it should at put SU on the very fringe area of bowl contention.

Jon Mettus (3-0)
Syracuse 24, Connecticut 17
UConn’t do it

While Syracuse hasn’t played a game closer than 25 points, each one of Connecticut’s games has come down to the final minutes and been decided by six or less. Ultimately, these two teams are pretty even when you consider SU’s injuries and propensity for mistakes. Call me crazy, but I think Syracuse’s defense will hold up for the most part and the offense will be able to do enough in the first half to get a lead big enough to keep.