Syracuse and Army reestablish series; set to begin in 2023

Syracuse will host Army in 2023 and 2025, SU Athletics announced Sunday morning. The Orange will travel to Michie Stadium at West Point in 2024 and 2026 as part of the reestablished series.

Syracuse will play four games against Army starting in 2023, with two games at each school until 2026, SU announced Sunday morning.

The Carrier Dome will play host on Sept. 23, 2023 and Sept. 27, 2025. The Orange will travel to Michie Stadium at West Point on Sept. 21, 2024 and Sept. 26, 2026. SU is 11-10 in the all-time series against Army, with the last matchup taking place at the Carrier Dome in 1996. The Orange won 42-17 for its third consecutive win between the two teams. Current SU tight ends coach Reno Ferri played for Army in that game.

In games played at Syracuse, SU is 5-0 in the series, which dates back to 1899.

“We’re excited to renew our series with Syracuse,” Army West Point Director of Athletics Boo Corrigan said in the release. “Both institutions have a proud football tradition and it is something that just makes sense. The chance to get to Upstate New York, where there is a strong military presence with the 10th Mountain Division at Fort Drum, allows us to showcase our cadet-athletes in another region of the Northeast. The new agreement also allows the people of New York City, including alumni from both schools, the opportunity to visit West Point and see two of the top programs in the tri-state area.”

Syracuse is at Fort Drum Sunday for its fifth annual trip to the upstate New York military base during training camp. The past two years, soldiers from the 10th Mountain Division have come to SU for a Syracuse football-Fort Drum combine when the soldiers partake in NFL Combine-like exercises.

“We are thrilled to add this football series to an already powerful relationship,” Syracuse Director of Athletics John Wildhack said in the release. “We have a long history with Army West Point on the football field and the University is a leader in supporting veterans and military families. We look forward to having the tradition and pageantry of the Army West Point program in the Carrier Dome for our fans to enjoy.”