Orientation Guide 2016

Here are Syracuse University’s new 2016-17 administrators

Will Carrara | Contributing Photographer

Michele Wheatly, Craig Boise, Michael Tick and David Van Slyke are all new administrators at SU.

Syracuse University will have some new faces in its administration for the 2016-17 academic year.

Michele Wheatly, Craig Boise, Michael Tick and David Van Slyke are each entering their first full academic year at SU. Here’s more information on each of them:

Michele Wheatly: Vice chancellor and provost 

Wheatly was named SU’s vice chancellor and provost in March and took over the position in May. Previously, Wheatly served as special assistant to West Virginia University President E. Gordon Gee. She was also WVU’s provost from January 2010 through June 2014.

As SU’s provost, Wheatly will lead the implementation of the Academic Strategic Plan, one of the three components of Chancellor Kent Syverud’s Fast Forward Syracuse initiative.

Wheatly replaced Liz Liddy, who had served as interim vice chancellor and provost. Liddy returned to serving as dean of the School of Information Studies, the position she held prior to becoming interim provost, after Wheatly was appointed.

Craig Boise: College of Law dean

Boise began serving as the dean of SU’s College of Law in July after the university appointed him to the position in April. He came to SU from the Cleveland State University’s Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, where he had been dean since 2011.

In addition to Cleveland State University, Boise has also made previous stops at DePaul University’s College of Law, where he was a professor, and Case Western Reserve University’s College of Law in Cleveland, where he was an associate professor.

William Banks, who was interim dean of SU’s College of Law, returned to his positions as the Board of Advisors Distinguished Professor of Law and director of the Institute for National Security and Counterterrorism following Boise’s appointment.
Michael Tick: VPA dean

Tick assumed his role as dean of SU’s College of Visual and Performing Arts in July. He previously served as dean of the University of Kentucky’s College of Fine Arts.

At UK, the university established the first fully-online master’s program in arts administration at a public university. SU announced the creation of a number of fully-online master’s programs at several of its schools and colleges last academic year, though not for VPA.

Tick replaces Ann Clarke, who served as dean of VPA from March 2008 to June 2016. She is now an associate professor for the school.

David Van Slyke: Maxwell dean

Van Slyke’s path to becoming dean of the Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs was an unusual one. Prior to being appointed to the position over the summer, he had served for months as the chair of the Maxwell dean search committee.

That committee was disbanded in June, and SU named Van Slyke dean the following week. He previously served as associate dean.

Van Slyke has been a faculty member at Maxwell since 2004, when he came to the school as an assistant professor. As dean he replaced James Steinberg, who had served in the position since 2011. Steinberg now serves as a university professor.